With the holiday weekend upon us, it is important that you still maintain good heart health by preparing healthy barbeque meals. When creating a heart healthy barbeque you want to be sure and keep the saturated fats to a minimum. You can still enjoy the holiday weekend by creating a good and flavorful barbeque meal with hearth healthy foods.
1. Rosemary shrimp skewers with arugula-white bean salad is a meal that is packed with heart healthy foods and only contains 1.9 grams of saturated fat and is packed with 35 grams of protein.
2. Pork tenderloin with maple-chipotle sauce is another great barbecue meal that is packed with nutrition. This meal only has 1.6 grams of saturated fat and contains 23 grams of protein and only 259 calories per serving.
3. Want a protein packed and delicious burger, try making California turkey burgers. These burgers contain 35 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber. Turkey is always a good heart healthy food choice.
4. When barbequing it is also important to remember that the side dishes are just as important as the main dish. You will want to include some heart healthy foods for your sides such as grilled corn with chipotle-lime butter. This delicious side dish has only 136 calories and 4 grams of saturated fat.
5. Another great hearth healthy food that makes a delicious side dish, are grilled Brussels sprouts. These vegetables contain only 126 calories and 1 gram of saturated fat.
6. When people think of hearth healthy foods they tend to think that any kind of dessert is out of the question. However, try making some dark chocolate banana s’mores at your next barbeque. This dessert has only 190 calories and 2 grams of saturated fat.
7. Another great dessert that you can try grilling up is grilled balsamic peaches and frozen yogurt. This is a light and refreshing dessert that can be enjoyed at any barbeque and contains only 199 calories and 2.9 grams of saturated fat.
When planning a heart healthy barbeque it is important to remember a few of things. Try and grill salmon or trout because these fish contain the high amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids that are needed to maintain good heart health. When choosing to grill chicken, remember to remove the skin. Also, you will want to use a grilling rack to cook your meat so that the fat drips away from your food. Instead of having potato chips as a snack, serve raw vegetables with a low-fat dip. If you are tired of just serving plain vegetable and fruit platters, try changing it up a bit and grilling your veggies and fruit. This will caramelize the veggies and fruit and give them a great flavor.