We are nuts for nuts at EraseDisease.com! Seriously, nuts are a wonderful addition to a heart healthy, cardiovascular strong life. I can’t even count the hundreds of studies attributing nuts to healthier living, weight loss, reducing stress, improving sperm quality, and improving cardiovascular health. From Mayo Clinic to WebMD to Cleveland Clinic and every medical expert in-between – nuts need to be added to your diet.
1. Mortality Risk – A recent study published in BMC Medicine journal found that individuals who eat nuts, particularly walnuts, are more likely to live longer. According to ScienceDaily.com, in a longitudinal study, researchers suggest that those who eat nuts more than three times a week have a reduced risk of dying form cancer or cardiovascular disease than non-nut eaters.
There were fewer people with type 2 diabetes or people taking medicine for hypertension in the group of people who ate the most nuts. Overall, nut eaters had a 39% lower mortality risk and walnut eaters 45% lower — meaning that they were less likely to die than the non-nut eaters.
People eating more than 3 servings (1 serving — 28 g) a week of nuts reduced risk of death due to cardiovascular disease by 55% and cancer by 40%. A similar effect was demonstrated for walnuts.
2. Lower “Bad” Cholesterol – Low-density lipoprotein, or “bad” cholesterol, is one of the primary causes for heart disease. While arginine supplements like our very own Cardio Juvenate Plus can help to lower LDL, eating nuts can also help. According to Mayo Clinic, eating nuts reduces your risk of developing blood clots that can cause a fatal heart attack.
3. Protection During Stressful Times – Stress is a part of life, but it doesn’t have to rule your life. At EraseDisease.com, we are big proponents of naturally reducing stress through meditation, yoga, breathing, exercise, arginine supplements, and diet. Studies have also shown that nuts can help protect your body against the harmful effects of too much stress. One study, according to the Huffington Post, looked at walnuts and found that they had a heart-protective benefit during times of acute stress.
4. Weight Maintenance – Nuts are a wonderful snack for anyone looking to maintain a certain weight, or who are trying to lose a few pounds. Nuts are a satisfying, high satiety food, meaning that because they metabolize slowly in the body they can leave a person feeling fuller.
5. Brain Health – If you’ve followed EraseDisease.com on Facebook, or perhaps have been keeping up with our arginine blogs, you no doubt know how obsessed we are with not only heart health but with brain health as well. I’m fascinated by the brain, and how arginine effects brain function. What’s even more amazing is how nuts can impact brain health. Studies have shown that nuts can help prevent cognitive decline that happens with age and can also improve working memory, problem-solving, and motor function, much like arginine does for the brain!
Why Are Nuts So Special?
Nuts contain a multitude of nutrients and vitamins that the body loves, especially the heart. Nuts contain unsaturated fats, omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, vitamin E, plant sterols, and, most importantly, l-arginine.
L-arginine, according to Mayo Clinic, is a substance that may help improve the heatlh of your artery walls by making them more flexible and less prone to blood clots that can block blood flow.