I will admit, it was a bit of lazy weekend, but a much needed reprieve from the riggers of the work week. During my lazy Saturday, I got stuck on a movie called Limitless, and was intrigued by it’s premise – the idea that a simple pill can make your possibilities in life, well, limitless. The idea that you can increase brain function to the point where your entire physical and emotional state is improved to the point where you are alive like never before. It got me thinking – can our arginine supplement provide those similar affects? How can you naturally increase brain function?
Arginine and Brain Function
I’m a little bit obsessed with the idea of improving not only heart health (which is obvious), but brain function and overall brain health. I mean, think about the possibilities for both personal and business success if you can truly utilize your brain to it’s fullest extent. You might not be a genius with an amazing IQ, but you can still bring about the best possible brain power with natural foods and supplements.
Many studies have been conducted over the years on the ability to improve brain function. And, in many of these studies, arginine and nitric oxide has been utilized. In 2008 and 2009, two studies were conducted on the role of arginine in diseases such as dementia and Alzheimer’s. Both studies showed that a decrease in arginine over time as we age is directly associated with an increase risk for these diseases of the mind.
Arginine has been shown to improve blood flow to every part of the body, increasing circulation. With that said, it’s important to note that arginine improves blood flow, and thus oxygen transport, to the brain. Because cells in the brain are constantly working, optimal brain function requires optimal blood flow.
Brain Power Super Foods
After watching Limitless, and knowing how important arginine is to optimal brain function, I wanted to see what foods would help to improve my brain power as well. Here’s what I found:
- Fish Really is Brain Food – Fish, especially salmon, is a huge boost of brain energy. It’s rich in omega 3 fatty acids, which studies have shown is essential for optimal brain function.
- Walnuts and Chocolate – Yes, chocolate is good for brain function. Walnuts and chocolate, dark chocolate to be exact, is a wonderful source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients that both the brain and the body love.
- Berries – Who doesn’t love berries, right? I mean, especially during an Arizona summer, when berries can be a refreshing break from the heat. But berries are super nutritious as well, and can be wonderful for improved brain function. Studies have shown that free radicals in berries can reduce the effects of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s or dementia.
- Caffeine – But in moderation. Caffeine, like that found in coffee, can, in fact, improve brain function.
- Avocados – I love avocados, and like salmon they hold a whole host of benefits for the body. Specifically for the brain, avocados have monosaturated fats and can not only improve circulation but can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and lower bad cholesterol. Sounds a lot like arginine, right?
I know it’s just a movie, but Limitless really got me thinking about the possibilities of improve brain function. Imagine, feeling more confident, having less emotional and physical insecurities, having the energy to hit that run or the gym, and having the compacity to land that big deal. I mean, it’s not just a movie, because you can improve brain function and feel healthier with natural supplements like arginine and a healthy, brain empowering diet.