It is very important to keep your blood pressure down and maintain a safe and healthy blood pressure because having high blood pressure can increase your risk for a heart attack and other serious diseases. Watching what you eat can play a big role in staying in good heart health, which in return will help keep your blood pressure low. Avoiding things like excess sugar, excess salt, and excess alcohol can help lower your blood pressure, you don’t have to avoid them altogether, just consume them in moderation.
There are 10 foods that are good for your heart and will help you with maintaining a healthy lifestyle, remaining in good heart health, thus maintaining a healthy blood pressure.
1. Fish- High in Omega-3s, such as tuna, salmon, and trout
2. Nuts- almonds and walnuts
3. Berries- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, contain high fiber
4. Flaxseed- contains Omega-3s and fiber that will help boost your heart health
5. Vegetables- in colors red, yellow, and orange because of the high fiber content
6. Tomatoes- contain Vitamin C
7. Dark beans- black beans or kidney beans, they contain fiber, B-vitamins, and other healthy and essential minerals
8. Oranges- contain beta-carotene and fiber
9. Oatmeal- high amounts of protein
10. Asparagus- contains beta-carotene, fiber, and folate.
It is important to remember that you must consume these foods on a daily basis. That might seem boring, but with there being a large variety of heart healthy foods the options are endless. Whether you mix berries in with your morning yogurt or mix your veggies in a stir-fry, having at least a one cup serving of a food off this list a day can help you remain in good heart health. Eating more than one cup a day of one of these foods is not a bad thing either, if you love vegetables this should be pretty easy, however, if you don’t, try coming up with some tasty recipes to help with eating more veggies.